Muirfield High School

Excellence in comprehensive secondary education

Telephone9872 2244

Rules and policies

Rules and policies are in place to make sure your child remains safe and well at school.

Visit the NSW Department of Education’s policy library for all current operational policies.

Our school uses the department's School Community Charter to ensure all of our communication is collaborative and respectful.

Attendance and absences

Students must attend school regularly so they can achieve their educational best and increase their career and life options.

In NSW, all children from the age of 6 are legally required to attend school or be registered for home schooling through the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). All students must complete Year 10, or its equivalent.

Young people below the age of 17 who have completed Year 10 must be:

  • in school, or registered for home schooling 

  • in approved education or training, such as a traineeship, apprenticeship or TAFE

  • in full-time paid employment (average 25 hours a week) 

  • in a combination of work, education and/or training (average of 25 hours a week combined).

Students 17 years and over who are enrolled in school must attend school regularly to meet HSC course requirements. 

As a parent or carer, you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day when they are of compulsory school age. You must explain all absences to the school within 7 days.

For more information about compulsory school attendance, visit:


When is my child marked present?  Does each teacher keep a class record?

The official roll is marked in morning roll call. That is why it is important that students who are late sign-in through the front office – if they do not sign in, they will be marked absent for the whole day on the official roll. Each class teacher monitors attendance and keeps a class roll.

How can I monitor my child’s attendance?

Log onto the parent portal. Parents can view the record of attendance from the official roll.

I think there is a mistake on the record of attendance. What do I do?

Contact the front office via email or telephone. A mistake may have been made, for example if there was a year assembly or in data entry error. The student may have been late and as they were not in morning roll call, they would have been marked absent. If the student does not sign in, the whole day’s absence will stand. Occasionally, a student may have truanted. Parental contact about  possible errors or inaccuracies is very important so we can identify the cause of the difference between the official roll and what the parent believes should be recorded.

How do I explain my child’s absences? What should I do if my child will be absent?

You can submit your explanation via the parent portal. Alternatively, you can contact the front office by phone or email. You can even use the “old-school” way and send a note. Explanations need to be received within seven days. If your child is going to be away for three or more days, it is a good idea to phone or email the school.

Do I need to supply a medical certificate?

Generally, no. But if your child is in Years 10 to 12 and has an assessment task due, then a medical certificate is required. For students who have had frequent absences, the Principal may request medical certificates for future absences.

Does the school contact me if my child is absent or late?

Every week we send emails to parents if their child has had an unexplained absence or lateness in the previous week. If there are concerns about your child’s rate or pattern of absence or if there has been a sudden increase, the Year Advisor or Deputy Principal may contact you.

Can I apply for leave during term time, such as for a family holiday?

Families are encouraged to travel during school holidays. If travel during school term is necessary, contact your child’s Deputy Principal. An Application for Extended Leave may need to be completed. The form is available via the link to the Department’s attendance policy above. Leave requests are generally not approved for senior students, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Any absences can affect a child’s learning. Alternate assessment tasks may not be accommodated. Absences relating to travel will be marked as leave on the roll and therefore contribute to your child’s total absences for the year.

For students participating in elite sporting or arts events, an exemption can be applied for. The form is available via the link to the Department’s attendance policy above.

What do I do if my child is late?

Remind your child to go to the front office. You can explain their lateness via phone, email, the parent portal or handwritten note, or you can sign the late slip that will be issued to your child when they sign in, and have your child return the slip to the front office the next day.

What do I do if I need to collect my child during the day?

If your child has to leave early, provide them with a note so they can show their class teacher. Your child will need to go to the front office to sign out.

If you unexpectedly need to collect your child early, phone or come to the front office. Office staff will send a runner to your child. Please do not phone your child during class times as this will result in your child facing disciplinary action as they should not be using mobile phones for private calls during lessons.

My child is refusing to come to school. What can I do?

Contact the Year Advisor or Deputy Principal as soon as possible to discuss the issue and ask for help. Strategies to help improve attendance may include a referral to our Learning and Support Team or linking your child with appropriate support networks. The principal may seek further support from the Home School Liaison Program to develop an Attendance Improvement Plan.

My child is in Years 11 and 12? Do they have late arrival and early departure?

Year 11 students are to be at school for the full day. Year 12 students may have permitted late arrival or early departure. Please see the Senior Student Agreement for further details.